We have both reporting and non-reporting hours for the same job (sometimes by the same employee). How is this handled in Certified Payroll Solution?
We understand that employees can have both reporting and non-reporting time for the same certified payroll job; perhaps:
- the Job Foreman spends several hours at his desk reviewing the plans for a project as well as performing work out on the job site - OR -
- an employee spends time in the shop fabricating something that he will later in the week actually install on the job site
for job costing purposes you need to track all of the hours and employee labor costs.
The best way to accomplish this is by having three different payroll wage items in QuickBooks:
- one for "overhead" or the time the Foreman spends for off site time,
- one for "shop or fabrication" time, AND
- one for the actual hours spent on the job site (or the reporting hours)
you would use these payroll items when entering hours in the employees timesheet and when CPS prompts you to create links back to QuickBooks for these items you would choose a special Work Classification called "Never Report" for the "overhead and/or shop" time; which then tells the program that whenever it see's hours and wages assigned to that payroll wage item - they should not be reported on the final certified payroll report. For the payroll item that you use for the actual time spent on the jobsite, select the proper work classification - Foreman.